MOLECULAR MODULAR

Urayoán Noel

Urayoán Noel (San Juan, 1976). Poeta, performer, traductor y crítico puertorriqueño.
Próximamente publicará el poemario Transversal con University of Arizona Press.

Lockdown breakdown   quebranto de cuarentena

ATTAAAGGTT TATACCTTCC …

DNA sequence of SARS-CoV-2
secuencia de ADN del SARS-CoV-2
Ah, you remember when things went viral?
            Acuérdaste de aquel sueño viral?
Can you find lifelines in the death spiral?
            Con vida estás en pírrico espiral?
Goddess, who’ll document your retiral?
            Guerreras, ahogarán al admiral?
Time yet for the performative eyeroll?
            Tiempo es por fin del guiño neuronal?

Are silences in lines enough spacing?
            Algo en silencio entre líneas pasa?
Can writing be no contact with tracing? 
            Cuando se escribe sin contacto es traza?
Graphics matter most when self-erasing?
            Grafía del yo es borradura crasa?
Too soon, on all fours, to start embracing?
            Tarde es para el que, ñangotao, abraza?

Are solemn pages ready for their screen?
            Ante pantallas, página es condena? 
Can quatrains somehow rhyme with quarantine?
            Cuarteto rimará con cuarentena?
Gray skies can sometimes signal the unseen?
            Gris cielo al fin o revelación plena?
Trauma was always written in between?
            Trauma es lo que el azar desencadena?

As digital as a corpse orgasm?
            Ay, digital cadáver, y tu orgasmo?
Can poetry be both fold and spasm?
            Cuál poesía: de pliegue o de espasmo?
Gravitas can grow its own sarcasm?
            Gritos de lucha se oyen sin sarcasmo?
Terrors are holes since everyone has ‘em?
            Terrenos del terror, dónde me plasmo?

Am I ready for a modular song?
            Atento estoy ante el modular canto?
Can a modular muse ever be wrong?
            Con musa modular cabrá un quebranto?
Grow molecules into a chain that long?
            Grandes moléculas se aferran tanto?
Trembling cells will become a voice how strong?
            Tantas células dan voz al espanto?

AVE

(lockdown song     canto de cuarentena)

improvising (the Bronx, 05/2020)     improvisando (el Bronx, 05/2020)     
the birds are back     volvieron las aves     ya tú sabes     comienza otra conversación posible     a new conversation is possible     con el yo interior     with the I within     without what I had     sin lo que tenía     but with what I am     pero con lo que soy    me atrevo     I dare     improvisar     to improvise     some future skies     ciertos cielos futuros

qué más hay     what else is there to do     mientras los pájaros y el tráfico se pelean     while the birds and the traffic fight it out     in the shadow of the Bruckner expressway     bajo la sombra de la autopista Bruckner     en el sur del Bronx     in the South Bronx     donde generaciones de mi gente     where generations of my people     han luchado     have struggled     han sobrevivido     have survived     libre albedrío de cantar     the sovereignty of song     even amid the distortion     of these technologies     aun en plena distorsión     de tantas tecnologías     otro cuerpo es posible     another body is possible     cuerpos no productivos     que no funcionen     unproductive bodies     that don’t always work     networked in other ways     desde otro tipo de redes

no te me enredes con lo que digo     don’t get tied up with what I’m saying     I mean     tying up is ok if it’s consensual     enredarse y atarse está bien si es consensual     pero me interesa     lo natural     but I’m interested     in the natural     flow of the song     el flujo de este canto     en su quebranto     broken but finding its way     pero hallándose sus propios semantemas     its own semantic properties     not all bodies have to be able     no todos los cuerpos tienen que ser capaces     hay otras voces     there are other voices     otras maneras de habitar     other ways to inhabit     no need to exhibit     no hace falta exhibir     vivir dentro de sí     y para sí por una vez     to live within oneself     and for oneself for once     enhorabuena     it’s about damn time

hubo cruces     hubo diásporas     hubo desplazamientos     hubo muertes     there were crossings     there were diasporas     there were displacements     there were deaths     and there will be more     y más habrá     no obstante aquí estamos     nonetheless here we are     cantándoles a los que no están     singing for those who aren’t here     pero que están     but that are here after all     pero que están aquí después de todo     como el eco del canto de esos pájaros     like the echo of the birds’ song     you’ll never hear     que nunca oirás     porque lo llevas dentro de ti     because you carry it within you     from island to island     de isla en isla     para habitar lo posible     to inhabit the possible

I’ve been thinking about land lately     llevo pensando en la tierra     recientemente     the terrain     el terreno     the territory     el territorio     de la voz     of the voice     donde nos hallamos     where we find ourselves     don’t think of this as claustrophobia     no pienses en esto como una encerradera     hay salida     there is a way out     and it’s through the voice     y es a través de la voz     a través de la voz     trappings of the voice     within and without     adentro y afuera     de sí mismo     of oneself     otro ritmo     another rhythm     with em rhythm     with em rhythm     ritmo de uno y con uno     conocerse     to know oneself     llamarse     to call oneself     to recall     rememorar     another possible future     otro futuro posible
Comparte este texto: